Girl in Bionic Suit 2005: That thing we do
.
Wednesday, February 9
That thing we do

They have a term for it. It is called 守岁, literally meaning guarding the age(s). It is a traditional practice for kids to stay up the night on Lunar New Year's eve, so that their parents would live to ripe old ages. Rule of thumb: the later you stay up, the longer your parents live.

Even as a kid, I've always thought that it is the most badly disguised excuse ever. But what with all-nighter of games and back-to-back TV shows legally, who is any kid to complain ? Like drinking, us kids would only experience the hangovers of our binges the following day, when we had to wake up early for those darn house visits.

But that was all more than a decade ago. Now, all-nighters (though not of games and shows) for me are as firmly in place as death and taxes. But tonight, tonight was a disappointment. It could be me getting old, or that cursed sleep debt; I thought I was watching the TV with the Family, but the next thing I knew, I was waking up on the couch, forty minutes late into the Lunar New Year.

I don't care much for the countdown, but I felt funny that I missed it, unintentionally. I took a long bath, and felt more sober. Then I sit down here and pen about how I am still feeling weird about missing that midnight chime of the Lunar New Year.

I am certain I would feel much better after writing it. My psychiatrist says so.

Happy Lunar New Year, people.
posted by redshot on 9.2.05

3 Comments:

Blogger darth said...

happy lunar new year of the rooster, rei :)

9.2.05  
Blogger Camoranesi said...

Well, I stayed up till 4am today. Anyway, whether it's a myth, superstition or proven fact or whatever, staying up late and waking up late to avoid the relatives is something I always try to do every CNY.
Happy CNY!

9.2.05  
Blogger redshot said...

Happy CNY, darth. Did you have a good Mardi Gras ? :P

Tan: I wish I could do the staying up late and waking up late to avoid the relatives stunt. But I think I might sooner be disowned than pull that one thru’.

10.2.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home


the author
about
home
2007
2006
2005
2004

search

archives
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005

resources